2010-06-30

The new German President, Chess and Shakespeare

Good morning Mr President, best wishes, Christian! 

Now you are where wanted to be. Or better: where your party colleague wanted you to be. Now you are no longer a competitor for her.


Your election was not so smart, so be modest. The great poet in Stratford knew: The crown is hollow. We in Germany have abolished crowns alltogether, exactly 100 years ago when hopefully you will be at the end of your 2nd term.

Shakespeare was right and I can confirm that with my online chess game which I played yesterday during your election: My co-player had gained already two nice queens and I myself was ready to give up my crown. 

But - surprise - my opponent had neglected a stalemate draw. Now he sat in the middle of his three golden crowns which did not give him an advantage any longer.

Therefore: Be not arrogant. Start your think tank in Bellevue, but don´t forget: We are the people and we are able to think, too. For example the majority of us thinks: Bring our boys home from Afghanistan! No, you must not say that tomorrow at your reception. Truths need time. But keep watching. And before going to bed you might remember the great poet: 

Within the hollow crown
That rounds the mortal temples of a king

Keeps Death his court and there the antic sits,

Scoffing his state and grinning at his pomp,

Allowing him a breath, a little scene,

To monarchize, be fear'd and kill with looks,

Infusing him with self and vain conceit,

As if this flesh which walls about our life,

Were brass impregnable, and humour'd thus

Comes at the last and with a little pin

Bores through his castle wall, and farewell king!


Ok Christian, I warned you against the gloomy light of power. I can share with you my experience as chairman of a small NGO: if you rise, the air becomes thinner and if there are problems at the grassroots, you realize how lonely you are. Nevertheless: Congratulations and have a good start! 

Keine Kommentare: